Monday, April 5, 2010

Countdown

I just looked at the ticker and saw 35 days.  Oh dear.  Really?  Just 35 days... and that's if I make it to my due date, which I didn't with Riley.  He has diapers, clothing, a bed, a room, and all of the gadgets that babies need.  But am I ready for this?  Doesn't matter now because it's happening!!!  I remember this feeling when Riley was almost due, but it was different then because I was SO uncomfortable constantly and so excited about the new adventure of mommy-hood.  This nervousness is more about the transition of going from one baby to two. 

Will Riley take it well or will she take it personally and think we don't love her as much as we did before this crying baby came into the house?  Will she act out all of the time to get my attention or will she be the helpful big sister I hope she'll be (bringing me diapers and whatever else she can reach from Jude's dresser)?  She's been practicing the good big sister thing by pulling out everything she can reach from his drawers and trying to get in his bed.  I hope she's just trying to test it out for him and not trying to mark her territory.

Will I ever get enough rest when I'm not sleeping at night because of Jude and not sleeping during the day because of Riley?  Riley slept through the night in 9 weeks, but there were nights when I did not sleep at all.  I don't know how I'll do it if I can't nap during the day... and what are the odds of them sleeping at the same time during the day in those first few weeks?  Hopefully Jude will be a great sleeper for me.

Will I forget what Woody looks like because we are tag-teaming the kids?  And Jude is due just before the state baseball tournament.  Not wise planning on our part, but we weren't planning much of anything 35 weeks ago.  That was all God's timing.  And since it's His timing, I'm sure He will work out a way for the baseball games to go on without Woody.

I know it can be done.  I personally know lots of women who have done it and survived, and their kids survived too.  I know both kids will grow up and not be eternally scarred from this transition, will I be as lucky?  If you think about it, send a little prayer up for me during this transition time.  35 more days to get myself prepared.

1 comment:

Kelley and Melissa said...

Mel, I'll add you to my prayer book right now. With Mia being Riley's age (almost exact), I can only imagine your fears. But it WILL all become routine, before you know it. I totally understand, because anytime we discuss trying for baby #2, I get excited, then scared and decide to put it off a little longer. Just so you know, I know you are going to be super busy, but after he is born, and you guys get settled into a routine, I am always looking for a reason to come visit. Mia and I can come stay for a few days, heck...a week!...and help out. I'm sure the sound of ONE MORE baby in the house sounds terrible, but we can stay in a hotel, and come during the day, and Mia and Riley can play, and you can SLEEP! Just remember that, and if you get too sleep deprived, call me, and we'll be packed and on our way! I can't wait to see Jude's sweet face. Can't believe he's almost here!