Saturday, January 25, 2014

Brooke's Birthday Celebration

We have the best friends.  I can say that because it's true. We love an excuse to get together to celebrate something, someone, or some day of the week.  This weekend, we got together to celebrate Brooke's birthday.  It was supposed to be a surprise, but I think Brooke and her detective skills caught on. To start off, we had food. Lots of great food.  Each couple provided a different course, which was such a fun way to contribute/show off our culinary skills.  :)

Summer has inspired me to make this antipasto platter again and again it was so good! What's not to love? Cured meats, full-flavored olives, soft and hard cheeses! It's making my mouth water right now!

Our mixologist, Daniel, being closely observed by all the men. I'm hoping that one of these days Woody will catch on and surprise me with a cocktail he has made for me. In the meantime, I shall make my own.

All the ladies, my sweet sweet friends. I've know these ladies for nine to twelve years, are we that old? Yes. My new year's resolution is figuring out how to work this camera.  I think I had the ISO set too low. See? I'm learning already.  But it could have been the person taking the picture and moving too much.

We always joke that we are sister wives. Let me explain before you get any ideas.  It always seems that when two or more of our families are together in public, we are missing one or more husbands, but have all wives and kids together with one man. In light of the latest TLC shows highlighting polygamy, we could appear from the outsider's perspective to be sister wives, several women who share one husband. I assure you that we are all monogamous and love our own husband.

The News Anchor pose. I love how Brooke is definitely hitting the hard stories. I prefer weather.

We each bought a bottle of wine to share. After the kids went to sleep, we sat down and enjoyed a dinner where we all got to eat together. Typically we are cutting meat, refilling sippies, stopping sibling fights, etc to sit and talk. This night was such a treat! Daniel acted as our server. He wanted Brooke to feel like she was at a nice restaurant enjoying a romantic evening, so sweet of him.  When he came to check on us, we could freely "order" a bottle of wine. Almost like a bunch of grown-ups playing "restaurant".  It was so. much. fun.

The birthday girl!!! Most of the recipes from this party came from her Pinterest pages. I made Ferrero Rocher filled chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  Oh. my. word. Pinterest win!

We sat and talked and laughed so much that my abs started seizing up. Food for the soul. I always feel so uplifted after time with these peeps.

We had to cut our night short to relieve grandparents who were watching our kids at home. But we LOVED being able to get all four couples together to celebrate one of our own with food, laughter, and love. I'm already looking forward to our next get together!

No comments: