I think that most of the people that read this blog are people that are moms with kids older than mine. So I would like your suggestions/ advice on a couple of topics. Yes, I know I could research these things on the internet (and I'll probably do that too), but I know you all are real and have valid opinions.
#1- When did you go from your baby sleeping in a crib to a "toddler bed"? We have the toddler bed conversion kit for Riley's bed and I'm just wondering when to transition? I don't want to transition close to Jude's arrival and her blame all of her life changes on him (which she might do anyway). I'm not sure how I feel about her being able to get out of bed whenever she wants to be done with her nap or her night of sleep. But you know how I like to be in control of things. :)
#2- When did you start potty training? And how did you do it? I'm just asking! Riley is only 15 months old and I KNOW it's too early, but it would be nice for her to be out of diapers before Jude is a year old- she'll be 2 1/2 by then. I really would like for them to both be in diapers for a short amount of time. Yes, I should have thought about that before I got pregnant so soon, but hey, we're more fertile than we realized.
Thank you for commenting and giving me your parental advice. I trust you girls. You are all great mommies.
3 comments:
Okay, my two cents (since you asked):
We moved Olivia to a "big girl bed" about two weeks after her 2 birthday. We moved, and when we moved, she got the new bed so Charlie could have her crib. We moved, put her in a big girl bed and had Charlie all within 5 weeks of each other. She handled it all very well, considering. She didn't get out of her bed for a long time, but when she did figure out she could get up, we had some trouble for a while. I would say wait till closer to 2, at least. I was worried about her hurting herself b/c she was to young to realize what she could/couldn't get into and me not hearing her. I know a lot of Olivia's friends at school didn't transition till closer to 2.5 or 3.
On potty training, the thorn in my side, I started trying at 18 months, for us it was a bad idea. We bought a potty, tried a few times, she got scared and that was that. So i let it go b/c of all the changes that happened around when she turned 2. I tried again at 27 months, again, terrible mistake, she just wasn't ready. I had read if you try, they aren't ready, wait 6 weeks and try again. That's what we did and that is when it clicked (for pee training, not poop though). It took her another 3 months to get the popping down, and after about 5 good months of training, we are finally there and I can trust her to tell me when she needs to go. So for us, it was a long, long process and I think it was all b/c I tried to push it before she was ready.
Okay, there is my novel:)
We converted Drew's crib right around the time he turned 2. It went just fine even though he could get out...we just put a baby gate in the doorway since he's upstairs. We also started potty training a month before he turned 2. For us, our daycare really did a great job doing it with us. But we started putting him in underwear when we got home at night for a few hours before bed to get him used to it. We just asked him all the time if he needed to go. Good luck!
1) well, we didn't get bailey out of her crib for a while because we were still in the apartment around the time we would have thought about switching things up. she finally got a real big girl bed (daybed) close to her 3rd birthday. we wanted to minimize all the change that was about to go on in her life. now, my girl is a rule follower, so getting out has never been an issue. although she was older than most when she got her bed, it was great because she could definitely understand what was going on and never just wandered around the room or anything. another thing that helped was that we used a bedrail. so, essentially, it still felt like a crib with 3 full sides and a partial side with just an opening at the bottom of the bed where she would get in and out. my personal opinion is that if riley isn't climbing out of her crib, then there is no rush.
2) potty training, i HATE potty training. i agree with mindy, we started the whole process way too soon and wow, was that ever stressful!! bailey showed a ton of interest one day (we had been practicing for a while) and kept a pair of bgp's (that's big girl panties) dry all day. she was around 2 at the time. so, following the advice of a friend, we went cold turkey and got rid of all the diapers and pull-ups, forcing her to wear just her bgp's. that sucked. wish i had just waited overall. they will do it in their own time, which is, i know, not what you want to hear, but believe me, changing diapers is a TON easier than preparing for and cleaning up accidents. and the stress of them having to go out in public in nasty bathrooms or the panic you feel when they have to go and there is not a potty in site. not to mention the car.
wow, i have hot opinions apparently! read back in my blog for even more details :)
miss you!!!!!
Post a Comment